Finalist of the Broomhill Sculpture Prize

Glynn Griffiths

Tuesday 6 April 2010



The concept and design I submitted to the competition jurors is for an 'Earth Seed' - a free standing piece using both man-made and natural materials. This has been a fairly consistent theme in my research and practice. For this particular piece I am using carved natural Cotswold sandstone [the 'seed'], ± 400m of 10mm diameter plastic sheathed electric cable, and thousands of industrial cable-ties.

I have carved one 'seed', but was concerned that it was perhaps a little too worked and flat in perspective, and wouldn't sufficiently enforce the notion of an earth seed being borne of the man-made elements. So I carved another which is higher and more rounded and a lot less worked. In the end I have decided on my first approach (so often the first instinct is the correct one) as although it is initially less visible it implies that there is much more of it encased within the man-made shell.

No comments:

Post a Comment